Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Trip Report: Avoiding the Jungle

 Interested in flies, look here Whitewater Valley Flies!

After getting home from work and thinking about mowing the lawn, tying flies, and working on a rod I decided to avoid the jungle growing in my yard and the jungle growing in the woods and decided to fish a pastured section of a local stream. I was near the headwaters but visibility was good (two feet). Streams are hit or miss in the area with larger streams needing a little more time to clear up.
I fished with a size 18 olive zebra midge at first but after only a few smaller trout I tied on a rusty colored midge of the same size and began hauling 'em in consistently. This was the big fish of the day although I did briefly hook into one around 18.
After landing around a dozen I tied on a quill bodied mayfly emerger and landed a few brookies! All I noticed on the surface were little (appx size 20) midges which fish rose to sporadically. I fished the fly dead drifted and skittered. Fish preferred the fish on top and only half-heartedly swiped at the fly when it submerged. After landing a half dozen or so on the mayfly I tied the midge back on.
This decent brookie, quite a few smaller ones, and a heap of chunky browns came to hand over the course of around two and a half hours. This stream usually requires great stealth but with cloudy skies fishing was easy! Stay tuned. I hope to get out this weekend between tying flies and building rods!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, avoiding yard work. It's so easy to do when the weather is nice and you have the itch to catch fish. Some great looking fish there, and such small flies. I have yet to catch a fish on something they small (at least I don't think I have, probably not.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Justin, hit me up if you find yourself around my way and want to learn the way of the small fly!

      Delete