Monday, June 25, 2018

Trip Report: Red Brassie Trout

Today saw clear skies, temps in the low 80's, and moderate breeze. Conditions weren't perfect but some elements were on my side. Clouds pushed in later in the evening and the stream had a decent little stain to it. Fish rose sporadically to dries and I noticed caddis, a few spare mayflies, midges, and various little beetles fluttering about.
After landing a few on size 20 Matt's midge and size 16 quill bodied mayfly dries I switched over to test out a red brassie that I started tying. Fish responded well! Around 30 trout, mostly between 8-12 inches, came to hand in a little over three hours.
This time of year they start to get really buttery brown! I rolled two really nice fish but the size 18 brassie didn't stick on either of the bigger fish. If the weather holds I may try to get out fishin' tomorrow evening but it will depend on how much precipitation we see over the next 18 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment