Saturday, June 16, 2018

Trip Report: Beat the Heat

I've been feeling a little under the weather lately. With a bunch of on call shifts, family obligations, rods and flies, and work around the house I wanted to get out fishing, at least a little. I got up early, dodged a few storms, and headed to a reliable stretch of water.
I arrived on stream around 730am. Skies were cloudy and overcast. Temps started out around 75 degrees. The small stream had a neat fog over it for the first few hours which helped me evade detection. I started out with the quill bodied mayfly in size 16 and found success on my first cast!
After landing three or four I came upon a long, uniformly deep pool of about three feet in depth. I laced up a size 18 rusty zebra midge (my go to as of late) and proceeded to pull 29 fish out. None were over 13 inches but they were a blast to catch with the 7' 9" three weight!
 Some fish hit the fly with abandon while others only nipped the fly. Any irregularity in the drift of the indicator and I set the hook. In some instances a light twitch elicited a strike.
Eventually I tied the mayfly emerger again and pulled a few more out of that hole before moving on. Fishing slowed dramatically around 9am as temps rose and skies cleared. A few more fish came to hand. By the time I left this stream around 10am I landed 43 trout, all smaller browns.
This small stream was surprisingly stained. I expected crystal clear conditions. We did get some rain throughout the area so streams may be hit or miss, especially after tomorrow. I passed three other streams on the way home and they all had a similar stain to them. I hope to get out tomorrow morning but with storms in the forecast again we'll have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment