Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Hittin' the Vise

Over the past few week or so we've had horribly cold temperatures. Because I could not fish I decided to tie flies on all of the hooks that I have sitting around (which is a lot!) Thus far I have focused on patterns that will work well. I haven't lived her through a spring or early summer yet so I'm waiting to work on those patterns until the seasons come and I can have a look at those bugs.
Of course the Pink Squirrel of Prey has proven effective over the past few months! I hope that this will be enough to last the summer as I used all of my tungsten beads and sz 14 hooks.
These sz 24 Stripped Quill Zebra Midge Emergers are a great winter pattern. If I spot risers this time of year this is the fly that usually catches them! I still have some sz 24 hooks left but I may tie some tiny Parachute Trico dry flies with them.
Speaking of Trico, these CDC Trico Emergers should do the trick. I can't wait for this hatch to arrive in late summer. These are tied on a sz 20 dry fly hook of which I have plenty remaining...but not for long!
These flies aren't perfect but the sz 20 RS2 Emergers, which imitate a BWO Mayfly, should do the trick from early spring throughout summer and into fall. This is a must have fly for sure! I'm waiting for some more CDC to come in the mail so I can tie some in a true olive color.
  These deer hair post Parachute BWO dry flies are tied on a sz 16 dry hook. I have some tied up in sz 20 also. The smaller ones will work earlier in spring and later in fall, but these should work all summer long. I think they're pretty easy to tie so I'll be working on an army of these over the next few weeks.
These Skittering Caddis dry flies work well during the warmer months. They can be dead drifted or cast down stream and pulled against the current. Most pictured are tied on a sz 12  short shank hook with a 2X gape while the smaller ones are sz 16. I'll be working on building up my supply of these as soon as I get more hooks. I tend to fish 'em and lose 'em often.

Stay Tuned: With temperatures forecast to be in the mid 30's this weekend I'll be sure to chase the trouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment