Saturday, January 3, 2015

Trip Report: The Long Walk

After a stellar day of fishing yesterday I had to get out today and try my luck! I chose a stream close to home and by 830 I was stream side. It was a good move to get out early because before I lost sight of the road three cars drove by slowly, hoping to fish the waters that I claimed! This stream had much less ice coverage than the stream that I fished yesterday.
After admiring the ice formations for awhile it was time to get to business. The water was really dirty today with visibility around a foot. I tied on a pink squirrel of prey and began plying the cold dark water. On my first cast I pulled in a small brown, hopefully a sign of things to come. 
 This fella came from the middle of a shallow run. He darted back and forth in the dark water before coming up for air! After a quick photo he returned to the drink.
 After pulling these two brownies out of an unassuming run I tied into a big fish. My line control was poor on the cast and as quickly as I had him hooked he was gone! After catching a few more fish I looked up and spotted a big Bald Eagle. I continued forward and noticed these odd tracks in the snow.
They're bird tracks! There were five or six of these in the same area. I'm not sure if it was the eagle but still pretty cool. After a few pics I continued upstream.
Nearing the end of my trip I ran into a little brook trout. When all was said and done I caught this brookie and around two dozen browns from 6"-14". No biggies but it was nice to get out fishin' before the negative temperatures hit tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment