Sunday, January 25, 2015

Trip Report: Eagles, Bulls, and Brown Trout

Today the wife and I went to discover a new creek together. Accessing the stream legally requires around a one mile hike just to touch water. We got out early and headed to the parking spot only to find two cars parked there already. We called an audible and ended up on a small tributary of the Root River. On the way we helped a farmer wrangle a few bulls with a little help from the Subi! I fished this stream before but decided to fish spots that I hadn't tried.
I caught this and a few other less beautiful trout on this first creek. It was hard to find fish as the trout congregated in only the deepest pools so after a short time we moved on to a larger stream.
The wife and I walked a good distance from the car and I began to fish while she took pics. This area has some really old stream restoration along with some like what's pictured above. After catching a few smaller browns I hooked into something sizable.
After a pretty good fight I scooped him up! Definitely not the biggest brown I've caught, but one of the biggest Minnesota browns. He took the Pink Squirrel of Prey fished deep and slow through a crystal clear pool. I used 5X tippet rather than the usual 6X today which allowed me to put a little extra pressure on this guy. I did spot a few risers but not with enough consistency for me to abandon the PSoP.
 I managed to catch a few more fish as I worked upstream. I was hoping to catch more rainbows because I like the colors they get this time of year but only caught the one pictured above. I've been spoiled by the bounty of trout coming to hand lately but today managed only around a dozen.
On the drive home the wife spotted a bald eagle feeding on a carcass on the side of the road. We pulled out the camera, turned around, and snapped a few quick pics. They didn't turn out as well as when I use my good camera but I didn't want to bring it out in the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment