Saturday, March 10, 2018

Trip Report: Big Flies and Little Flies

I got out this morning with the intention of fishing three creeks. After a few wrong turns I decided to fish a stretch of stream that I'd never fished. I arrived on stream around 930am with temps in the low 30's, partly cloudy skies, and a very light breeze. The stream was crystal clear and fish spooked upon my approach. 
 These well manicured spots are not my favorite to fish. This spot is far enough down the valley that the bottom is mostly sandy. I didn't expect much so I tied on a articulated double bugger lookin' streamer and pounded the deeper seams.
This was the big fish of the day! He smashed the streamer and put up a nice little fight on the WVF 9' 6wt. After a few bumps from other fish I got another.
After landing five trout over a few hours midges started to pop off and I tied on various midge patterns. I landed another half dozen in short order including the once pictured above. Fish ate the quill zebra midge emerger, matt's midge, quill mayfly emerger, and griffiths gnat. Around 130pm I headed to another stream where I hiked to a small tributary that I've never fished. On the hike I landed a few little browns on the matts midge (sz20). I hoped to find brookies in this tributary and sure enough...
These brookies all ate an orange scud. This little tributary was loaded with little brookies which hit with abandon. Many swung at the indicator. I'm thinking this will be a great spot to hit with a three weight and a mini hopper in late summer.
 
 By around 330pm I headed back to the car. A dozen or so brookies came to hand with none over 8 inches. Fish rose consistently throughout the day frequently enough to fish with dry flies. Tomorrow I'll be fishing with my buddy Tim. We don't have a specific plan yet but I'm thinking maybe a brookie voyage. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment