Monday, June 18, 2018

New Rod Builds!

Been working on two new rods over the last few days. They're up for sale over at Whitewater Valley Flies. Check 'em out! The first is a twelve foot 7 weight spey rod. This is my second spey build and was a blast to conceive. $175.00.
I continue to work on my thread wrapping technique which, much like tying flies, can be maddening. I'm getting better at applying finish to the thread wraps as well. This is much more of an art to me than any other aspect of rod building.
While working on the spey rod I also built a rod that was much the opposite type of build, a seven foot 2 weight. This rod turned out great and would be an ideal tool to pick little brookies out of a little driftless trickle or a small mountain brook. $120.00.
This zippy little rod cast great in the backyard a few minutes ago. It has a more moderate action and would definitely cast better with two weight line instead of the three weight line I have spooled up. I only took two casts but I can tell you, whoever picks up this little gem is gonna have a blast with it!
I hope to continue doing both smaller rods and those stupid big spey rods as well as the four and five weight "typical" driftless rods (I am working on a four weight this evening).

No comments:

Post a Comment