Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Trip Report: Storm Dodgin'

I wasn't planning to fish today after storms moved through the area all day. By the time I got off work though I had to scratch the itch! It was cloudy, streams got a fresh injection of cold water which usually triggers a good bite in summer, and I hoped the stream would have a little stain.
The stream had no stain but fish were eatin'. At first I fished the red brassie again. That worked well and as soon as they got used to that fly I switched to a gray zebra midge, both size 18 with a tungsten bead.
 I only landed a few little brookies on the red brassie but a bunch of decent little brownies readily took the pattern. After around a dozen came to hand I switched to the gray zebra midge and, oddly enough, landed three decent brookies in a row out of the same stretch of water!
I'm always happy to see brookies! After landing another ten or so more I tied on a dry and moved upstream a little. At first I fished the quill bodied mayfly but after losing the only one in my box I switched over to the size 18 ehc.
 What a blast! I noticed a few spare mayflies and midges fluttering around but fish rose consistently near the bubble line. These fish both put up a great fight on the 7' 9" three weight. I've been using the three weight a lot lately but fishing around high grass was made difficult by the shortness of the rod. I'll have to line up the 9 footer coming up!
He just barely nipped the caddis out of the scum line. I'm not sure I'll be able to get out over the next week or so but I plan on doing a deep woods hike later next week if the weather cooperates. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment