Friday, December 12, 2014

Some Fishin' and Some Tyin'

Got out fishing a few times last week. It was chilly so I didn't stay out for long but I managed to catch a few fish! Last Sunday I fished for a few hours near home and caught two nice rainbows around 13" and a decent brown of around 15". I was proud of myself for catching one on a nymph, one on a streamer, and one on a dry fly! Unfortunately I only had the camera on my phone.
I did bring my camera on Monday when I was able to get out of work at noon. I tried a bunch of the new BWO patterns that I've tied up but I figured they wouldn't work! I did manage to catch a few fish on the pink squirrel of prey and a small midge emerger.
 This skinny brown came on a black midge emerger on a long downstream cast. The fish are easily spooked by this spot so I had to be extra sneaky!
I also caught a few rainbows.
 These guys came out of some fast, cold water. After a few hours of fishing I managed to catch three rainbows and three browns. No big fish but it's nice to go fly fishing in December! Usually December is tying season for me and I dedicate most tying to flies that will sell but this year I've been working on patterns that will work in the Driftless.
These BWO patterns should work very well but we'll have to wait for spring to see for sure. If you look at the reflection of the fly on the tin you can kinda see what the fish will see before he strikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment