Friday, December 26, 2014

Trip Report: Mild Success on the Midge


Today I fished a state park near home for a few hours late this afternoon. The temps hovered in the upper 30's and clouds prevailed. Expecting a few midges coming off the surface I rigged up with a sz 24 olive zebra midge emerger. The small fish couldn't resist while the larger fish were able to shake the hook. I turned one that was probably around 16 inches but he was able to quickly spit the hook. 
This guy was the biggest! He has good colors and looked really neat streaking through the deep green pool adjacent to the lie from which he came. After the quick snap of a pic he was released to grow bigger.
 I ended the day with 5 or 6 browns and 1 little rainbow. I kicked up a bunch of little brownies as I walked around the deepest pools. There looked to be a good number of small browns occupying all of of the prime pools and the largest fish that I hooked and lost came on a pink squirrel of prey dredged through a pool.

For Christmas I received a few hundred sz 20 and sz 16 dry fly hooks so I will occupy the vise as soon as the weather turns colder...but any time I'm off work and the temps reach the high 20's or better I'm gonna get out fishing! The Minnesota winter C&R season starts on January 1. This season will greatly expand my options and I have a few areas in mind to explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment