Sunday, October 16, 2016

Trip Report: Beaten by the Brule

On Friday, Saturday, and Today I hit the Brule River in northern Wisconsin with a buddy. We fished, we fished, and we fished some more but to no avail. We spotted a few fish but only heard of one other angler that caught a fish. It was a great experience but I'm not used to seeing so many people afield.
We talked to a good number of other anglers who shared with us a multitude of theories, strategies, and bullshit related to fishing for steelhead but in the end none of it mattered. The fish were there and well aware of what we were trying to do. I'm pretty sure my buddy through his whole box at them!
 The colors were spectacular! The underbrush was painted in reds and greens while taller trees stood cloaked in yellows, reds, greens, oranges, and brown. While the hike from pool to pool proved tiresome the fall colors added that little extra that kept us going.
My buddy and I worked this pool hard. We saw no signs of life and moved on. 
Again, the colors were great. We covered different sections of the 20+ miles of stream open to us. It was neat to observe how the river changed character from an upland meadow/marsh section through a higher gradient valley to a flat, marshy lowland, and finally into Lake Superior.
I plan to chase 'em again next spring but for now, the end.

4 comments:

  1. It seems like everybody and their brother must have been up there this past weekend based on all the social media posts I've seen. At least you got some great photos out of the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were a lot of people. Way more than I'm used to! People were really friendly too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not even a nibble? Hmm. Now I know I wouldn't have a chance up there this coming Friday and Saturday. MN Driftless is back at the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! Some fish would have been great, but the experience and adventure sure looked fun.

    ReplyDelete