Thursday, October 27, 2016

Trip Report: State Park Fishing

I got out for a few short hours to chase trout around one of Minnesota's three state parks which allow trout fishing while the season is closed for all other small streams in the Minnesota driftless. With cloudy skies and a good stain on the water fishing was pretty easy. I tied on a black egg sucking leech and watched lots of trout chase, swing, and occasionally connect.
It seems like the park hasn't been stocked yet but some holdovers provided constant action. At one point I watched a nice bow, around 14 or 15 inches, swim up to my fly but he wouldn't take it!
I landed around a half dozen rainbows this afternoon before hooking into my first few browns. As I moved upstream the scenery got better, as did the action for brownies.
I never put much time into streamer fishing but after the success I had up to this point I decided to focus more on different retrievals. I can't wait to fish more streamers next spring.
It was nice to get out for awhile. I did not notice any redds yet but it'll happen any day now. It may be a bit before I get out trout fishing again but it's great to have the option when all other options are closed!

No comments:

Post a Comment