Sunday, October 2, 2016

Trip Report: Love Is In The Air

This weekend I fished three different streams. The first is a short stream that has a high gradient and is prone to flooding. There were a few spots on the stream that totally scoured out. These spots held the most and biggest trout.
You can see huge logs that got caught in the live trees. When this stream flooded it must've been epic. In fact while I drove to this spot I saw numerous landslide areas! After catching a few with the Pink Squirrel of Prey I switched over to the San Juan Worm. The fish responded well.
This fish was about the biggest my three weight could handle on this little stream. I hooked into one fish around 18 inches and without hesitation he pulled me into a rootball and was gone. After catching this guy I peeped into the pool and noticed a bunch of fish "staging" on the bottom. I saw no "redds" but the fish will definitely move to redds to spawn within the next week or two.
This brownie had a funky bump on his shoulder. At first I thought maybe it was shaping up like a pre-spawn salmon but upon closer inspection I think he broke his back at some point.
This stream is loaded with fish. Ever time I popped my head up to look into any deeper water I spotted fish. They were interested in the SJ worm more than anything. I spotted a few mayflies but only spotted one fish surface. This morning I decided to head to another trout factory. Fishing wasn't as good as I'd hoped but I managed to land one decent trout amount that many dinks that came to hand.
Fish on this stream haven't started building redds either. After a lunch break I headed to a brookie factory armed with the three weight and SJ Worm.
 Lots of brookies came to hand. None as large as I'd hoped for. After hiking a good distance upstream I turned around and headed for the car. This may be the last time I get to wet wade:(

1 comment:

  1. I wet-waded a few times this weekend, but elected to throw on the waders sunday morning for some deeper wading.

    You never know, you might get another 80-degree Sunday yet!

    Not much orange on the brookies yet. The big one makes me a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete