Monday, February 26, 2018

Trip Report: Another Quick Hour

I got out fishing after work for a few hours today. I arrived on stream at 415 and hopped back into the car at 515. Uncertain what stream conditions to expect I found my choice stream running at regular depth with about a foot of visibility. This stream is a headwater and most areas of the stream aren't much deeper than a foot. Skies were sunny, light winds, and temps in the low 40's. 
 I had an orange scud tied up but after a few very subtle takes (that I missed) I decided to try a gray size 16 zebra midge. Adult midges fluttered around sporadically and fish surprisingly took notice. 
Browns were concentrated in faster water but I found two little brookies sitting near the back third of a long, slow run. Love me some brookies!
This was the big fish of the day, probably only about a foot long. I still had a number of fish only nibble on the midge and missed at least five or six after setting the hook and failing to connect. I never found a need to tie on a dry but a size 18 matts midge skittered across the surface would have enticed at least a few strikes. Runoff is likely afflicting streams anywhere but close to their sources. I drove by another smaller stream today that looked clear and ran at a normal rate of flow. The two streams I experienced today never dirty for more than a day or two so I anticipate that despite runoff there will be fishable water if you know where to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment