Thursday, May 31, 2018

Trip Report: After Work Delight!

If you'd like to purchase any of the flies I used today or perhaps a fly rod check out Whitewater Valley Flies and/or send me an email at cgrie750@hotmail.com

After tying a few dozen flies last night to complete an order last night I decided to hit a spot on the way home from work for a little troutin'. I'd heard the biting gnats were bad on this particular stream but had no issues beside them flying in my mouth and up my nose. I talked to a friendly fella who was just wrapping up as I arrived. He had a decent day fishing a caddis pattern and reported fish rising consistently to a variety of bugs. I started with the quill bodied mayfly emerger in a size 16. The stream was running full and clear. The sun was shiny and temps measured in the high 80's. The water felt cold.
 This first fish to come to hand was this nice brookie! This stream hasn't held a decent population of brook trout for a few years so I was pleasantly surprised. After a quick pic he was returned to the drink.
This well fed fishy sipped the quill mayfly emerger gently from the surface but violently took to the air upon hook set. After a great battle in tight quarters he too was returned to the drink:) After around a half dozen on the surface I rigged up a rusty colored size 18 tungsten beaded zebra midge which both I and the fish have been diggin' lately.
 Fish ate the zebra midge with some hesitation. Most of the fish landed were barely hooked in the beak, like they were just tasting it. I landed a ton of fish in the 10-13 range and a few slightly larger. No bigguns came to hand today but I briefly battled one of around 16 or 17. The tiny fly popped free of his boney month as I steered him toward shore. Oh well. Stay tuned, without work or family obligations I plan to fish to my hearts content this weekend...and tie flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment