Sunday, May 20, 2018

Trip Report: Flyless Fly Fishing

Check out my most recent post on Whitewater Valley Flies about the virtues of fishing midges and to purchase the flies I used today!!!
 
After a little messin' around this morning I found some time to get out fishing. Unfortunately all of my gear was in the wifes car. Well, not all the gear. I have a ton of flies tied up so I dove into the inventory and grabbed two quill bodied mayfly emergers, on orange scud, and two rusty zebra midges. 
I arrived on stream around 3pm. With my limited supply of flies, my 7ft 9in three weight, and some indicators I made out of fly tying foam and thread. First up was the size 18 tungsten beaded rusty zebra midge.
 Yup, that worked. This stream runs gin clear most of the time and today was no exception. I could see fish on the bottom opening their mouths and landed fish on most good drifts. Most were right around 12 inches. After snapping off one of the midges on a decent trout I tied on the last rusty midge and twitched it along a deep rocky undercut along a current seam.
This guy was probably around 14 inches. He put up a great fight on the three weight and went airborne a few times! After a few quick pics he was returned to the drink. Shortly after I snapped off the final zebra midge and switched to the orange scud. No dice. By this time the sun was out and fish began to rise steadily. It looked like they were eating midges which swarmed around the faster water. I tied on a size 16 quill bodied mayfly and resumed hauling 'em in.
 This guy, along with 8 or so, fell for the dry fly. They ate it dead drifted as well as twitched. In one promising plunge pool I had a really nice trout come up an nip the fly from my tippet. I set the hook but felt no pressure. I later last the other quill bodied mayfly in a similar manner. Out of flies and a little hungry I headed home around 6pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment