Saturday, May 19, 2018

Trip Report: No Morels, Many Trout

After some chores around the house this morning I headed to the nearest south facing slope in search of Morels. After walking around a tick infested woods for around 1.5 hours to no avail I headed toward the nearest stream. This stream is a medium to larger body of water and despite having little precipitation over the last few days the water was vary stained. After prodding the water for 20 minutes or so with a San Juan Worm I opted for a smaller body of water. I arrived around 11am and tied on a size 18 rusty zebra midge.
I immediately began tying into trout. Most fish only nibbled on the fly. I managed a bunch of good fish out of this little stream. A few larger fish took the fly as well although I was only able to roll one really nice one of about 17 inches.
The average sized fish was on the larger size with most fish measuring between 10-13 inches. I rolled many in the 12-14 inch range as well.
This was the large fish of the day. It measured a little over 14 inches. The water on this small stream was crystal clear and fishing would have been more difficult if not for overcast skies. Today I fished with a 9ft four weight, a 9ft leader, and 5x tippet. Few fish surfaced in the hour that I fished but they readily ate the zebra midge subsurface. If anybody's looking for flies hit me up at cgrie750@hotmail.com or check out Whitewater Valley Flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment