Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Trip Report: Cloudy Trout Skitterin'

 To purchase any of the flies I used today check out Whitewater Valley Flies!
 Today I cut out of work a little early to chase some trout. Skies were cloudy and the area got a steady drizzle overnight which left my chosen stream with a perfect chalky greenish stain. I expected to fish the San Juan worm a bunch but fish did not seen enthusiastic about the worm. I switched over to a size 16 Quill Bodied Mayfly Emerger and began hauling 'em in. I landed a few on the dead drift but they really responded well to the fly cast upstream and skittered down.
Usually I'll get high numbers of smaller fish on the skitterin' fly but today some decent fish were looking up. In water under 2 or 3 feet deep I could see fish come up from the bottom to eat.
As the afternoon went on I began noticing some larger caddis (approx size 16) caddis laying eggs on the surface. There weren't many flying around and each time I spotted one a fish would inevitably take a swipe at it. I snapped off on a few decent fish before switching to 4x tippet. It was a blast pulling some of these fish out of skinny, heavily structured water with my 7' 9" three weight.
This speckled beauty was the big fish of the day. I'd guess he was around 14 inches. Shortly before I called it a day a trout of around 16 or 17 inches took the skittered fly from the head of a pool. It dodged beneath an undercut, around some logs, and through some rocks before I guided him toward my hand. While I fiddled with my camera he spit the hook and slowly headed toward the depths. I fished from 2pm to 630pm and landed approximately 40 trout. Most were around a foot long although plenty of 8-10 inchers found there way into my hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment