Saturday, July 14, 2018

Trip Report: Post Storm Trout

This morning I headed out after finishing up some chores around the house and working on a few fly rods. This stream was clear despite receiving around 2 inches of rain over the last two days. I cycled through a few small midge patterns before settling on a San Juan worm. That was the ticket!
This little hog put put up a monumental fight on my 7' 9" three weight. Shortly after landing this fish I decided to head home to continue working on rods and tie a few flies. In around three hours of fishing I landed at least 20 trout. At one point around 11am I tied on a quill bodied mayfly emerger in size 16 and landed six or seven fish within only five minutes! After taking care of business at home my buddy Jesse and I hatched a plan to fish another nearby small stream in the later afternoon. We arrived on stream around 415pm, he with his spinner and me with the trusty San Juan worm.
 The San Juan worm strikes again. I called Jesse over to net this one because I hooked up with it off a heroic cast down stream and the refraction magnified it. I thought I had a beast!
Then I landed this really nice one. The worm was pulling in weight and all with the new rod I built for myself. Every time one rolls off the drying rack I feel a strong urge to break it in:)
 The fish in this stream are always so vibrant. I've landed a few brookies out of here in the past and they tend to be vibrant as well. The heat as you decent from the car through the vegetation and to the stream gets more hot and humid. At one point I fished in a little shaded plunge pool, knowing full well that a good trout lied in wait. After a good cast the fight was on.
This picture does not do this trout justice. Look at that big ol' fan of a tail! He put up a great battle in a tricky little piece of water! Jesse landed a few good ones as the afternoon turned to evening. By around 7pm we called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment