Saturday, July 28, 2018

Trip Report: Fishin' With a Special Delivery

I met up with a friend this morning and fished before and after delivering a new fly rod to a special customer. More on that in a minute. We arrived on stream around 845am to find crystal clear water and sunny conditions.
This picture was washed out so I edited it up a little bit. I may have to incorporate it into a new business card. Shortly after I took this picture Tim missed a couple hook sets in a row, amateur hour;)
We landed a high average and yes, Tim did redeem himself. This fish ate a beetle off a perfectly placed cast around 30 feet upstream. He stayed low, used a long leader, and made his first couple casts to the run count. It's always fun to watch how others approach a stream. I always leave our fishing trips feeling like I've learned something.
After walking back to the car we headed into town to meet up with Jim Holden, a great fly fisher, and author of a new book, titled "Heron Thieves, A Bat Out of Hell, and Other Fly Fishing Stories, Essays and Poems". 
 If anyone is interested in a copy message me on here or leave a comment and I can get a hold of one for you for a steal of a deal at $10.00 ea. Here is the fly rod I handed off.
I enjoyed building this rod and I hope if serves it's purpose well. After chatting with Jim for a while Tim and I returned to the stream. This stream held fish but it was not fast and furious. We took a number of approaches and settled on the trusty San Juan worm. We did fish streamers for a while and despite landing a couple here and there none broke the scale.
It's kind of hard to see but Tim's line is looking funky in this shot! Although the fishing left something to be desired the scenery was second to none.
 This was Tim's view while he tied on a new fly. At this point we had failed on the stimi with a pheasant tail dropper.
This fish came from behind a rock to nip the worm fly. I set the hook as he was retreating back to his lair and the battle ensued. He came to hand in short order.
Unfortunately Tim busted his rod (or maybe fortunately since now I've got one to build for him:). We probably landed 2 dozen or so between the two of us before calling it a day at 430pm. I always enjoy fishing with Tim and hope he gets back this way soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment