Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Trip Report: Before Work

I got up early to take a few seasoned fly anglers to chase trout but after receiving word they would need to reschedule I decided to head out solo. I planned to chase brookies locally and set out by 7ish.
 After landing a few brownies on the San Juan worm I switched between a number of flies. One fly that landed a good number of fish was a size 24 thread bodied zebra midge. 
 Numerous good sized brookies came to hand on those little buggers. The streamer landed a few although after the sun hit the water hard the streamer bite died. I switched around a lot today but easily landed the most trout on a size 16 quill bodied mayfly emerger. Fished dead drifted, skated downstream, and twitched sunken worked really well. I landed quite a few decent brookies and browns before tying into this beast!
This picture does not do him justice. The jaw was kyped out real good! As I shifted from this shot to take one of him by the grip of my fly rod he squirmed a little and rather than give him the death grip I released him to the drink. I'd guess he's around 13". I fished on and by the time I headed off the stream around 11am I must've unhooked at least a few dozen trout.
On two occasions I hooked into some really nice fish and after violent splashes on the surface the hooks came loose. Those fish will bring me back before too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment