Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Trip Report: After Work Hatcharoo

I arrived home from work thinking tonight would be a good night to find a hatch on a nearby stream that I've neglected over the last few months. With a new fly to test and a few hours to kill I arrived on stream around 6pm.
After fishing down stream a little bit I decided to head back up to avoid the cows. I didn't notice a bull. After landing a few little ones I hopped to target some larger risers. Fish rose consistently but action was not fast n furious.
This was the first halfway decent fish. He gently sipped the "spring creek comparadun". It is a comparadun style emergery dry fly tied with a trimmed hackle wing instead of deer hair. It sits very gently on the surface and works well on the most picky of trout.
I didn't get a great picture of it but the profile is tasty! I spotted two types of mayflies, midges, and caddis fluttering around. I didn't try other patterns since I really wanted to give this pattern some work.
 After missing a few nicer fish this stout brown took the fly. Fish seemed especially sensitive to the line and were put down after only a cast or two. Blue skies and crystal clear water didn't help. I fished with an 8ft leader, 2ft of 2x, 1.5 feet of 4x, and 1ft of 6x and even that setup was a little beefy but my 9ft 5wt helped enable long casts.
This fish put up a great fight. Not the prettiest fish but fun to catch! Stay tuned, I have a few rods I need to work on, a float and fish trip planned, and tons more flies to tie.

No comments:

Post a Comment