Sunday, August 26, 2018

Trip Report: Broke Car, Good Fishin'

My buddy John and I connected earlier in the week and decided to get up early to do a float 'n fish for trout. John wanted to ride the canoe so instead of my usual kayak ride with canoed down the river. We met up at 6am and got on the water by 7am.
There it is in all of it's glory, the Merrick Tennessean. We were a little tentative about paddling through this rocky river but ran into few rocks. We fished a little from the boat while also wading in some areas.
 We landed fish consistently all day. John switched between a few patterns but found the olive mayfly and elk hair caddis most effective. I used the quill bodied mayfly in size 16 for most of the day.
Here's John hooked up on one of a few trout hooked in this little riffle. We definitely noticed fish keying in on dries with Trico, Olives, Caddis, and Craneflies coming off at different times of the day.
By the time we pulled off the water around 230pm I must've landed around 50 trout! John did well also. While heading back to pick up his car in the afterglow of our trout fishing bonanza my car started to lose power while I hit the gas. Within less than a minute we found ourselves stopped in the middle of a gravel road down a remote valley. I had to mess with roadside assistance who gave the tow truck driver the wrong phone number and incomplete directions to locate us. What a pain. At least the fishing was good!

No comments:

Post a Comment