Sunday, January 3, 2016

Trip Report: Continued Success

I got out fishing again in the snow! This stream was a little off color and running a little above average flow for this time of year. With cloudy skies and temps in the mid 20's conditions were good. I rigged up an orange scud fished under a pink squirrel of prey and worked upstream.
 I immediately tied into a few smaller browns on the orange scud. These guys both came out of a deep pool with good current flowing through. The takes were subtle and the battles short lived.
After catching five average trout in a deep, slow run I tied into this guy! He put up a great fight before slowly swimming into my net. After a few quick pics he was released. I'd guess he measured around 16 inches.
I continued working upstream and landing smaller trout before hooking into this guy. He darted around the run and under the bank before coming to hand. Like the fish pictured above he took the orange scud. By this point my legs were rally tired from trudging through the snow, however the promise of another decent fish kept my feet moving.
This speckled chunker also took the orange scud bounced along the bottom. He came from the head of a plunge pool. After this guy I decided to turn around. At this point I caught 20 trout, 1 brookie and 19 browns. The walk back was a death march so I took a few breaks and landed 4 more browns for a total of 24 trout! There's no better way to start the new year than to fish the first three days!

2 comments:

  1. Due to this post, I just tied some orange scuds. Been fly fishing for 3 years now and my first year, I used scuds more, but never hooked onto anything so my 2nd year, I used more PT's and nymphs. I'll give scuds another try. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done well with scuds until this winter. I'm looking forward to fishing them more!

    ReplyDelete