Saturday, January 2, 2016

Trip Report: Starting the New Year Right!

After freezing my butt of yesterday I decided to hit a spot close to home where a buddy gave me a hot tip about the stocking of rainbows just prior to the closure of the general season last fall. I figured they'd probably be dumb and hungry if someone hadn't gotten to them yesterday. Well nobody got to them yesterday!
I arrived on stream around 10:30 and immediately tied into a few colorful little rainbows. They were certainly dumb and hungry with many coming up to bump my strike indicator. I pulled seven fish out of the first deep run before continuing upstream. 
I tied into a few more average bows along this snowy rocky hillside and had as many bump my indicator. Hoping to hook into a few larger browns I decided against putting on a dry fly. Immeidately upstream from this spot was a great pool. I landed another four or five trout from that pool including this, the biggest brown trout of the day.
He wasn't huge but a nice change of pace. I caught a few more rainbows and some tiny browns (4-5 inches) as I worked toward my exit point. One of the last little pockets I fished in this section of stream yielded this, the biggest rainbow trout of the day.
By noon I caught 18 trout and it was on to the next stretch. I immediately caught a few really small browns from a few shallow runs. I caught a few and missed a few before approaching the last long, deep pool. In this pool I landed over a dozen fish, mostly average sized bows. 
Lots of these guys! I ended the day with and outstanding 38 trout to hand. At times my hands were so cold that they hurt but I'd hook into another and have to dip 'em in the water again. The sun helped though. Flies used today included the Pink Squirrel of Prey, Grey Zebra Midge, Orange and Pink Scuds. The Orange Scud outproduced all other flies but I lost my last one pretty quick!

Proper clothing definitely made this outing more enjoyable than it could have been. On top I wore an undershirt, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, and windbreaker. On bottom I wore pj pants with regular pants over them, both tucked into heavy socks. I brought gloves which I tucked into my neoprene waders but only wore them periodically as action was fast. Temps reached the mid 20's again this afternoon. Stay tuned: I hope to get out again for a bit tomorrow! Starting out the new year right!

No comments:

Post a Comment