Friday, January 1, 2016

Trip Report: New Years Trout!

What better way to ring in the new year and the opening of the C&R winter season than to go fishing! I woke up late, ate a quick bite, and headed for the stream. Temps measured 24 degrees and winds were light but biting. Early clouds gave way to sun. By 10 I was trudging through 10 inches of snow headed toward a section of stream that treated me well last fall.  The stream had no ice except for the vary edges. I rigged up a pink squirrel of prey with a orange scud trailer and tossed it in.
This little guy was my first fish of the new year! He took the squirrel of prey bounced along the bottom. After catching two more very small fish on that fly they began to key in on the orange scud.
 This guy, like most of the fish I landed today, was barely hooked. After catching a few more I switched to a size 18 grey zebra midge. I landed two trout on that fly with both measuring less than 8 inches. I returned to fishing the scud squirrel combo.
 This guy snatched the orange scud from a slowly moving run. Just prior to hooking him I tied into a decent trout but pulled the hook after a very short fight. A few steps further upstream I did the same thing, missing another decent trout. With frustration mounting I landed a few more small trout.
They continued to only taste the fly. Subtle take was the name of the game today. In all I caught 14 trout with all measuring smaller than 12 inches. The guides on my fly rod didn't ice up too bad today but enough to be a nuisance. Overall it was a great day to be out fishing. I felt a little chilly for most of the day but nothing that couldn't be handled. I spotted four eagles on my drive and while fishing but couldn't un-holster my camera quick enough to get a good pic. Stay tuned-I plan to spend a good part of tomorrow fishing as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment