Sunday, January 24, 2016

Trip Report: No Bigguns

I got out fishing for most of the day yesterday and a few hours this morning before coming home early to tie some flies! I caught none over 13 inches but yesterday I landed 31 and today 9. Yesterday all but two were Rainbows and while today I caught no rainbows.
 One brown from yesterday and one from today. The stream I fished yesterday had very little shelf ice. The stream was pretty off color, likely due to some farm work going on upstream. I found clearer water later in the day. The stream I fished today also had very little shelf ice and fish seemed fairly spooky yet aggressive.
I caught this little football, I call him "Stubby," when he emerged from an undercut (ice shelf) to snap up a pink scud. I landed five or six cookie cutter rainbows at this spot.
The reason I didn't fish all day today was because the wife and new puppy wanted to come along! She had tons of fun and got to sniff her first trout which she liked. And before you comment, yes she's wearing a pink cape, yes she has matching booties, and no, I had nothing to do with that!
 I'm still keeping busy at the vise. This week I ran out of hooks so while awaiting my order I tied up some foam hoppers and this funky little comparadun mayfly tied on a curved hopper hook! When the hooks come I'm planning on tying at least a hundred of these for sale.

Stay tuned: it looks like the worst of the cold is gone (for now) so I'll be getting out fishing at my next opportunity.

1 comment:

  1. That last rainbow is beautiful! (Well they all are but you know what I mean)

    ReplyDelete