Saturday, September 13, 2014

Old Trip Report: Misc Fishing

I started a new job this week! I've neglected to post reports but I still managed to hit the streams a few times.
The only hatch I ran into was this little midge hatch. It was pretty intense but the fish were not looking up for these tiny flies. I did try a skittering caddis pattern a few times and it worked well early in the week before a cold front passed through.
 On this small stream the brookies and browns were eager to chase the caddis across the surface. After the cold front passed the fish were less eager to hit the surface and had to be coaxed from the depths with the pink squirrel of prey nymph.
 When the sun came out the wife came along to document. The rainbows came out to play too! The waters have been cold and clear and the fish have been eager to pack on the feedbag while in pre-spawn mode.
 The rainbows that I caught this week were all above average size while the browns ranged from average to very small! After walking around for some time I found more than just fish.
 Speaking of above average this toad was huge! He looked like he ate a mouse. This leopard frog was pretty big too. My wife spotted a big garter snake also. It had definitely eaten two little mice as you could see two bumps in its stomach.
Fishing was good this week but I'm looking forward to fishing Minnesota's extended catch and release season which runs from September 15th through October 15th. We also have a winter season beginning January 1st! Stay tuned: the fishing season is coming to an end for most but I'll be taking advantage of Minnesota's various trout seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment