Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Trip Report: Riffles and Chocolate Milk

 
This morning I fished a local stream that I checked on yesterday. It was still running high but it was a lot more clear than yesterday. At about 8:30 there was a good hatch coming off but the water was stained enough that the fish were unable to really key in on them. I fished the pink squirrel of prey exclusively today. 
For the first two hours all I caught was a few rainbows. The stream cleared as the sun came out and the fish moved into the riffles. I have never focused on the riffle sections of streams but realized today that often fisherman move directly from pool to pool. Fish often move into riffles to feed in the morning and late afternoon and are often overlooked by anglers.
This chunky brown came out of a long, rain-swollen riffle. He fought hard, diving behind rocks and toward vegetation, but came to hand after a short fight. I approached the same riffle and again tied into a fish.
This speckled beauty ran down the riffle into a run before settling at the bottom of a pool. He was strong but not stronger than the St. Croix! After a quick photo he was released to fight another day. In total I caught around 1 1/2 dozen fish with all but 6 being browns. I'm eager to fish more heavily pressured streams to test my theory that riffles are often avoided by anglers.

No comments:

Post a Comment