Sunday, September 28, 2014

Trip Report: Fall Brown Trout

After not fishing much over the past week I got out this morning before the Packer game! I fished near Preston for about four hours. I tried fishing hoppers but fish only followed it down stream while inspecting it, refusing to strike.
I tried fishing near the headwaters of the stream first but caught only little minnows. I hoped that the burning bush signaled good fishing but it did not. I moved to a spot further down stream and presto!
This mean lookin' brownie came from an unassuming run where I'm sure a hundred other fisherman have passed by without a cast. I caught a few more on a size 24 midge emerger trailed behind a pink squirrel of prey before switching to a hares ear with the same fly trailing.
This guy took the hares ear after another from the same run came to hand. The browns are staging to spawn in this area as evidenced by their colors.
 The fish face is from the above pictured trout. You can tell it is a male by the slight curve of its jaw. The other pic is of a female. She was heavy with eggs and will likely spawn within the next few weeks. It was a nice day to get out but with the browns preparing to spawn and the extended season ending on October 15 I'm not sure how much I'll be able to fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment