Saturday, September 13, 2014

Old Trip Report: Paddling The Mighty Root

Last Saturday the wife and I paddled a branch of the Root River. We hit the water by 9:30 am in search of sunburn and trout! My wife volunteered to be the photographer for the day.
We paddled along bluffs and over rocky riffles and sandy pools. We saw very few trout scatter as we approached but they were there! I tried fishing dry flies, although very few fish surfaced. I quickly switched to the pink squirrel of prey after a few fishless minutes. It was a good choice!
 I caught some fish from the kayak but found it much easier to pull up on shore to fish. I hooked into a few nice fish ahead of me in deep runs but the fish were easily able to outmaneuver me. 
This brown came, along with a few others, from a fast riffle that emptied into a slow flat. It was much easier to fish from my feet but it took more time and I could have spent a week fishing all the water we passed through. 
I caught about half browns and half rainbows. None were especially large but I did hook into a few decent fish that were able to shake me! We paddled 12.75 miles and caught around 2 dozen fish. It was nice to get back into the kayak and hopefully we can try it again before the season is over...I have a lead on some good smallmouth bass waters in our area.

No comments:

Post a Comment