Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Trip Report: Brookies!!!

Today I decided to try a headwaters portion of my home stream in order to find clean water and brook trout! I arrived on stream at about 9am and found clear water after a few inches of rain over the last few days.
This section of the stream was beautiful. The stream wound through a pasture and had lots of small springs pouring into it. I didn't have to fish from the water but had to cross a few times and the water was cold! As I walked down stream the banks exploded with hoppers. It was neat to see hoppers float downstream to eager brookies and browns. I was, however, unable to connect with hoppers.
 These brookies came on the pink squirrel of prey. I fished midge emergers, bwo dries, and hoppers with minimal effectiveness. These brookies came out of a shallow run but bigger fish lurked in pools.
This guy hit the squirrel of prey and immediately dove for the cover of a big rock. I steered him away from the big rock and he ran into an overhanging branch. After a short dance he came to the net. After about 4 hours of fishing I caught more than a dozen trout with half being brookies and half browns.

No comments:

Post a Comment