Friday, September 29, 2017

Trip Report: After Work Trout Fishin'

After work and after tending to pets I headed for the nearest trout stream. I initially fished a section of stream that fishes Ok and found that it was way too weedy. Still a few fish cooperated.
I arrived on stream around 615pm and gave it a half hour of prodding with a nymph. No fish spotted rise tonight so none caught on a dry!
 The second spot offered good brookie action in tight quarters. Browns too. I landed two on the pink squirrel of prey before noticing a good hatch of tiny midges. After tying on a gray size 16 tungsten beaded zebra midge fish started coming pretty consistently. Fish are colored up and will probably be ready to spawn soon.
This brookie fishing reminded me of some of the tank brookies we used to get in some of the tiny creeks I fished in Montana. Today was a little different because this stream dictated long cast with long leaders/tippet to weary trout.
 The sun disappeared over the horizon and four or five more came to hand in short order before I rolled out at 715. I plan to chase some big old trout tomorrow. We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment