Sunday, September 3, 2017

Trip Report: Lost Fly Blues

Today I got out fishing with a spin fishing friend. He switched off between using a rapala and a worm. Now before anybodies panties get in a bundle because somebody fishes with worms. This dude has mad skills and hooked all of the fish he caught in the lip. He says using an "Aberdeen" style hook and constant pressure on the sinker, as well as looking out as much as you can for a visual take, are key to using worms responsibly and still C&R! We arrived on stream by 830am to find clear, cold water and sunny skies. With temps forecast to peak in the 80's today I tied on a Hopper dry and let 'er fly. Things started out a little slow but as temps rose and fish began to key in on hoppers action heated up.
This was my big fish of the day. Probably around 13 inches but it looks even bigger when I hold it out like that:) After a while I noticed a solid hatch of olive colored Mayflies. Quite a few smaller fish came to hand on the olive Mayfly for around an hour, then action slowed for me. While I failed miserably to catch a decent trout rising 50ft ahead of me Jesse let out a cheer. I ran up to him, grabbed the net, and Jesse guided this beast home.
This brute could have eaten most of the fish I caught today. Instead he chose a worm. Congrats to Jesse on his personal best Brownie!!! Jesse had a tape measure with him and this guy measured 20" on the spot. After a few quick pics he was released without incident and we continued on.
Shortly after I took this photo I realized my fly box wasn't in my pocket anymore. I backtracked a good distance but no dice. It only had a few good flies and a ton that were chewed to death so I'm only a little frustrated. Jesse and I continued upstream for a few hours with fair luck before heading back to the cars. Fish were easily spooked today but we managed quite a few despite the sunny, clear conditions. On the fly fish ate Quill Bodied Mayflies, Foam Hoppers, and smaller Deer Hair Hoppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment