Monday, September 4, 2017

Trip Report: Fishin' With Dean

Today I got out fishing with Dean. I met Dean shortly after I moved to MN. We met as I hiked way back in the woods in search of a small tributary stream heard in hushed whispers to contain awesome populations of brown trout. Dean was impressed that I fished as far back in the woods as he fished, hunted, and hiked in his younger days. Dean still hits the water hard though. By 1pm we were lacing up and walking to the stream. We both landed a few fish right off the bat. I landed one of the fattest little brown trout I've ever seen.
This guy took a pink scud. I very quickly realized that with the sun high in the sky it would be difficult to get trout to commit to flies unless a hatch came off. We did not spot consistent risers until as we were leaving but we both landed a few on a quill bodied mayfly and an ant that Dean ties.
I rolled a good number of fish around this size but I wasn't landing my hook sets as efficiently as I like. I was fishing with 2x tippet so that may have made a difference too. Dean caught his best fishes on a zebra midge.
Here he is landing one around 16 inches. He landed one around 14 too!
Dean said that taking a picture of a fish at a 45 degree angle makes it look bigger. I'm not sure about that but still a sweet fish! We landed around a dozen fish apiece before calling it a day. It was nice to catch up with Dean and bs about fly fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment