Sunday, September 10, 2017

Trip Report: Brassies and Brookies

I got out very briefly this morning in search of brookies! I chose a tiny stream in my area that has great numbers of smaller brookies and browns as well as some really nice ones if you get lucky! I arrived around 830am to clear skies and a low clear stretch of water. I rigged up with a size 18 Quill Bodied Mayfly Emerger and landed a few in short order.
 After landing a few dinks I tied on a tungsten beaded orange scud as a point fly and trailed the mayfly emerger behind. That got me into some better fish!
 After landing a few beauties like this one I inched upstream. The river was so clear and low that every step I took sent fish swimming off in every direction. At one point I spooked a brownie that must've been at least 17-18 inches.
This thick brookie marked the last one willing to eat the Emerger. After catching a dozen or so on this fly I tied on a size 18 brassie. I immediately missed a few decent fish on poor hook sets before landing this beautiful trout.
After snapping a few quick pics he was released to the cool environs from which he came.
Click on this picture to see the colors of this trout in more detail! This is one of the most beautiful little trout I've ever seen. Around 1 1/2 dz fish came to hand today with most between 8-12 inches. I noticed the occasional rise but with no constant hatching fish appeared mostly hunkered down on the bottom of slower pools.

No comments:

Post a Comment