Saturday, September 30, 2017

Trip Report: Lots of Stops

Today a buddy and I fished a few different streams. The first spot was full of fish but so low and clear that they often spooked before we could get into casting distance. Casting distance was limited by the tight quarters on this stretch of water. When we could get close enough for a shot the disturbance of the fly hitting the water sent them scattering. I even fished a 10ft leader with 3ft of tippet.
 I still manged to catch a few little trout despite high light conditions. They all ate a gray size 16 zebra midge with a tungsten bead. If this stream would have had a little bit of a stain I think we would have done really well. We spotted a number of fish in the 14-16 inch range. After a few hours of largely fruitless hiking and fishing we headed to a nearby stream where I expected to catch a few biggins. We only fished one hole that required a little hiking to get to. No luck. We turned around and headed back to the car and toward our next destination.
We fished downstream of the same access point I fished yesterday. After landing a few little browns this decent brookie took my zebra midge and fought like a bull on the three weight. My buddy landed a few including a decent brownie that was around the same size as this one, which came on the pink squirrel of prey a ways downstream.
After a lot of walking and fishing around a ton of weeds we decide to call it a day around 330pm. It wasn't bad day of fishing but clear waters and sunny skies worked against us. Tomorrow I may get out to chase smallies on the big river!

No comments:

Post a Comment