Sunday, September 17, 2017

Trip Report: Quick Brookies

I had to stay within cell reception but the itch to fish was strong this morning so I headed to one of the only spots where I have cell reception. I didn't travel too far from the road but that didn't seem to matter.
 The first few fish that came to hand were brownies and a few really small brookies. After switching from a black zebra midge to a brassie the brookies took notice.
 I didn't find any huge ones but they're colored up really nicely! I briefly hooked into one really nice brown, around 17 inches, but the hook popped out as I reached out to net him. With half of his body in the net he took one mighty flop and landed back in the drink. In around 2 hours of fishing under bright skies around 2 dozen fish came to hand, about 70/30 browns to brook trout.
Last week I lost my fly box while on a death march through shoulder high weeds. I'm currently sold out of tungsten beaded nymphs so I looked through a collection of reject flies from when I first started tying. All fish today came on those rejects! I'm glad I didn't throw them away. Now to order some tungsten beads...

No comments:

Post a Comment