Sunday, May 17, 2015

Trip Report: Deep Hiking With Bro

Yesterday I had the pleasure of fishing with my brother! I grew up fishing with my brother all over southeast Wisconsin. We started chasing trout on the fly rod after a trip with dad and our uncle to Bennet Springs State Park in Missouri. There we first flung flies at wiley trout. Of all the people I've fished and hiked with he is one of the few that is willing to go on a good adventure. We've had some epic days of slaying trout and some really rough days. I consider yesterdays trip as one of the former.
We hit the water by around 7 am and had tied into fish almost immediately. I pulled in a nice little rainbow and my bro had caught a few browns before I tied into this guy. He put up a decent fight before getting scooped into my net.
The water had a perfect "green" to it. We didn't have to worry as much about sneaking as in addition to the green stain clouds covered the skies. No fish came out of this pool but a few yards up stream...
Bro was on fire and I had a pretty good day myself.
This football took the pink squirrel off the bottom of a deep, slow pool. Most fish were hooked at the very tip of there snouts and we missed a good number that were probably only tasting the fly. We walked a ways beyond the furthest point I'd reached previously and turned around after 5 hours of fishing and hiking. It took an hour of strait walking to get back to the car. We moved on to another stream as the forecast rain did not materialize. We hit a nearby brook trout factory and pulled in a few brookies a piece. Upon approaching a deep pool my brother skittered a caddis to a really nice brown that snapped him off instantly. We got a good view of the fish as he exploded from the water to tackle the fly. He probably measured around 16 inches and was easily the biggest fish in this section of creek. We came home for lunch before hitting another nearby stream. We planned to chase bigger browns and hoped to find a good caddis hatch. We found no consistent hatch but I pulled in a really nice rainbow, probably 15-17 inches. He put up a great fight. I managed to pull in another decent brown before being chased of the water by a downpour.

No comments:

Post a Comment