Friday, May 8, 2015

Trip Report: A Full Day of Fishing

Since I have to work tomorrow and there's lots of rain in the forecast for Sunday I decided to fish today! First a buddy and I headed to a spot that neither of us fished yet. We pulled up to the access point only to find a stream of chocolate milk, off color because of the heavy rains last night. We decided to backpedal a little and fish a nearby stream that we noticed was clear-ish on the way. We each managed 6-7 fish. This guy was the biggest.
We fished from 8ish until around noon. My buddy and I BS'd for a while before parting ways. By around two I was on the next stream, a small stream full of little browns. 
I headed down the hill and began flinging a streamer as I worked downstream. After seeing a few flashes I hooked into a really nice one. I tried to horse him a little and he took a calculated run which snapped my 4.4 lb tippet. I tied on a gray deer hair skittering caddis and skated him upstream as I continued down. I caught a few smaller ones before heading back upstream. I tied on a Pink Squirrel of Prey and began pulling 'em in almost immediately. 
I fished to an audience as I hauled in this little chunker. I like his spots! The cows were pretty cool and even though they had some babies with 'em they didn't mind my presence. 
 After hauling in a couple decent little browns I hooked into another decent fish. I only saw a muted flash as he pulled under a deep lunker structure and snapped me of on a rock or sumthin'. 
This guy was the biggest fish of the afternoon. He put up a great fight but I was able to steer him to shore in short order. Notice the big mark on his side. It makes him look mean.
A few casts later this guy came to hand. He ambushed my fly on a well placed cast between two big rocks. After a few more casts I decided to call it a day. I almost crashed my car on the way home after finding three ticks crawling on my legs. I've heard from a few people that they think its a bad year for ticks and I concur. I hope to catch some more fish soon but it'll be hard to get out before next weekend.

2 comments: