Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Trip Report: Perfect Conditions

I have to work for 12 hours tomorrow so I cut out of work early today to do a little fishing. I headed for a spot near work that I don't get to fish too often. The stream flows through a beautiful pastured valley and into the Mississippi River. It was cloudy, rainy, and windy today which made sneaking up on the trouts much easier in this small stream.
I started off targeting a nice riser with a deer hair skittering caddis. The fish ignored it a few times before striking it with vigor. I set the hook only to find that he missed the fly. After some choice words I switched to the tried and true Pink Squirrel of Prey and began tying into fish consistently. 
 I caught 5 or 6 average sized fish before hooking this chunker. He hit the fly at the beginning of the run and darted around a deep pool before coming to hand. Most of the fish I caught came from faster moving water. I turned a few fish toward the middle of deeper pools but they seemed to only be nibbling the Squirrel.
 This guy came to hand in a similar fashion. I caught around 18 to 20 fish today with the two pictured being the largest. I hooked into one really nice fish in a short run but he immediately pulled my fly into a bunch of submerged branches and snapped my line. I'll be back for him before long!
There was limited insect activity on top but a few spare caddis came off as I was pulling away. Stay tuned: My brother's coming this weekend and were hoping to chase some big trouts!

1 comment:

  1. Loving this blog. I also enjoy how you take the pictures of your fish. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete