Saturday, May 9, 2015

Trip Report: A Short But Fruitful Outing

I really need to stop saying 'I won't be getting out fishing for a while'. With as many trout streams as I have within a short drive the odds  that I'll get out fishing on any given day is pretty good! After work today I headed out to a headwaters stream less than 10 minutes from home.
 I liked this tree! I spotted some Sulphers and midges hatching but I decided to take another route. After a short hike I tied on the skittering caddis and tossed him downstream twitching him down and across. I immediately began tying into brookies. 
 Fish spooked with every step so on this small stream only the longest and most precise casts landed fish. I caught around a dozen smaller brookies and four that measured around 9-11 inches.
This brownie came from beneath an undercut to slam the Skittering Caddis. By this point I spotted a few spare caddis coming off. After catching around two dozen fish (most very small) I called it a day and hiked back to the car.

Stay tuned: The forecast changed and now tomorrow looks to be cloudy and a bit chilly, but without storms.

No comments:

Post a Comment