Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Trip Report: Construction!!!

I decided to check out three new steams this afternoon. I approached the first stream easement, a very small section of stream in someone's front yard. I immediately caught two small browns. I gave up pretty quick and decided to head north, toward the larger easement. I passed a sign on the way that said the road would be closed on 8/7. After a few miles and just shy of the easement the road was closed! I turned around and hit another stream. This other stream was very small and overgrown. It may be a good option in spring but I did manage to catch one very small brook trout. After wasting a half hour on this stream I went to the third creek. This creek has only a very small easement section which I was unable to find. With some time to kill I headed to a nearby stream that I fished last week. At this stream I managed to catch around a dozen medium sized browns, all on nymphs.
 Most fish came out of medium depth runs. The water was cloudy in this stream due to cattle wallowing in the cool water. I didn't have to use much stealth to catch this guy.
I'm beginning to love the Minnesota mountains! After fishing this spot for a little over an hour I moved on to a stream closer to home. After a short drive I was on the creek.
I began fishing a small caddis dry but only got a few short strikes. I switched back to my nymphing rig and caught another half dozen or so fish. At the last run I hooked into a decent sized brown. He pulled me into an undercut bank, then into a root ball. I managed to get him back into the current before slowly guiding him to shore. I reached down to grab him and as I leaned forward my rod tip dipped and the barbless hook fell out. I watched the 15-16 incher sink back into the current. Stay tuned, I'm going to try and get out early tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment