Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Trip Report: Post Storm Trout

After getting chased off the stream yesterday by rain and lightening I decided to get out this afternoon to see how the local creeks fared. The water had a chalky appearance from slight runoff. This can kill the fly fishing if it gets too cloudy but today was perfect. The fish could not see me so no stealth was necessary! The first stream that I fished flowed through a public easement near the Harmony-Preston bike trail.
I caught a half dozen browns and this fat little rainbow in about an hour. I tied into two really nice browns (15-18 inches) but snapped off on one and the hook didn't stick into the others. All fish were caught on a fly of my own invention. It's a cross between a pink squirrel fly and a bird of prey fly. It doesn't imitate anything in particular but has a very buggy look.
I then moved on to what is becoming my favorite stream. It is a limestone spring creek that flows through a densely forested and steep valley. I pulled a bunch of nice browns out of this little hole.
Today's outing was enjoyable but I'm itching to catch a really big brown and some brookies! After taking care of business tomorrow I hope to get out and make it happen. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment