Thursday, August 28, 2014

Trip Report: Wild Ride

Today I got up early and headed to the stream with hopes of beating the rain. I hoped to fish the trico hatch but the trico only appeared for a few minutes. I still managed to catch a few stocker rainbows and tied into a few browns that I was unable to land.
 As the showers started I switched to the pink squirrel of prey and began catching fish consistently. At one point I tied into a really nice brown. The water was very clear and I could see him dart behind a big rock. As soon as he disappeared behind the rock my line snapped. This fish acted like he has done this before! After hitting a few deep pools I decided to focus more on riffles which are shallow water with fast current flowing over rocks.
This guy pulled me down stream about 50 feet. Fishing the riffles yielded fewer but much larger fish. I continued prospecting the riffles of this stream with the pink squirrel of prey and ran into this sparsely speckled brown.
This guy took me on a wild ride! He came from a fast riffle. As soon as I set the hook he ran up stream into a little deeper water. I set foot into the water to net him and he took off down stream. There was a barbed wire fence crossing the stream just below where I hooked him and he dove downstream below the fence. I had to lower my rod and duck under the fence in order to continue the fight. He came to hand soon after. I decided to head home shortly after catching this fish because the rain was picking up. 2-4 inches of rain is forecast for the weekend so I'm not sure when I'll get back on the stream.

No comments:

Post a Comment