Thursday, August 7, 2014

Trip Report: Familiar Places

Today I got out and fished a stream that I got chased off of by storms earlier this week. I was on the stream by 8 and encountered a massive hatch. Tiny mayflies bounced up and down over the water and fish fed over pools and nipped hatching bugs out of riffles. I tried every fly in my arsenal to no avail! I settled on a size 16 bird of prey nymph. After missing quite a few light strikes I decided to head way up stream. 
 I approached this shallow run which was as far as I made it last time. I tossed my fly into the run and the indicator immediately indicated that something was on the other end. I thought it was a rock or branch but I've learned to set the hook on everything. As soon as I did my line danced around and I tried my hardest to keep him out of the root ball. After a short fight this beast came to hand!
 I didn't measure him but I would guess he was around 16-17 inches. After a moment of admiration I set him free. I quickly moved on to find a similar piece of water with hopes of similar results. A few bends further upstream I found a prime run. Trees hung over the water and the stream came to a deep pool. At the head of the pool the current flowed in through a rocky trough. I flipped my fly into that trough and BOOM!
This guy hit immediately. I tossed my fly to the same spot and caught two more around the same size.
After catching a few more medium and small browns I decided to call it a day. It was an interesting day of fishing today. I caught nothing for most of this outing until I hit these two pools. Fish were stacked everywhere and were certainly feeding but I couldn't match the hatch today!

No comments:

Post a Comment