Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Trip Report: Trico Hatch, Again!

Today I gout out for a full day of fishing. My goal was to catch a decent brown on a size 26 trico dry fly. An inch of rain fell throughout the area but the streams still ran clear. I had very little luck on the first stream I fished. I caught three decent little browns on the trico before heading back to the car. The hatch was not strong but between the trico and small cream midges coming off the water the fish were looking up all day. 
This guy slurped the trico off the surface and came to hand after a short but spirited battle. I worked up stream behind two other fisherman so I like to think I would have caught a few bigger fish had they not been put down by the commotion.
I took a few short breaks in order to smell the roses (actually these butterflies were resting on a pile of cow shit!) I saw a few eagles and lots of little bugs also.
 Again, I caught a good number of fish but they were all pretty average. I wavered from the sz 26 trico pattern only once. I tied on a leech pattern and immediately had a nice fish swipe at it but I quickly returned to using the minute dry fly. At the tail of the next pool I gently placed they fly onto the surface and the water immediately erupted. After a long but generally uneventful fight I pulled in the biggest fish of the day, a slender brown trout of around 16 inches.
After a short conversation about how to avoid this situation I released him to the depths from which he came. Posted below are a couple of pics from a short trip that I took yesterday morning with a new friend. We tested my new trico pattern with great success!
 Stay tuned: I'm going to try to get out fishing tomorrow morning before the storms come.

No comments:

Post a Comment