Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Trip Report: In Search of Brook Trout


Today I found myself on a local river that purportedly has a population of brook trout. I fished this stream a few times and have had great luck with brown trout, but never any brookies. I heard that one of the streams that flows into this river has lots of brookies so I walked upstream in search of this small tributary. On my way I ran into a friendly gentleman who was trying to match the trico hatch with his friend. We talked fishing for a bit and learned that we live in the same small town. Upon parting ways I told the fellas that I was going strait to the tributary and that I wouldn't fish ahead of them.
 After heading up the wrong tributary for a while I found the right spot. I immediately caught a half dozen browns in the first two pools. I was a little disappointed that they weren't brookies so I headed further upstream.
I encountered a very large brown for this stream (16-18 inches) but scared him as I clumsily waded into the pool. I continued a long distance up stream but only caught and scared brown trout. Where are all the Minnesota brook trout!?!
As this brownie came to hand I saw the gray sides and thought I had a brook trout. After admiring the colors I turned back down stream. I headed back to the main river and fished a few select areas. I caught another half dozen unremarkable browns before walking back to the car. Today there was a sizable trico hatch but I was unable to match the hatch. I caught half of my fish on a size 18 deer hair caddis dry fly and the other half on a gray bird of prey nymph.

No comments:

Post a Comment