Monday, August 25, 2014

Trip Report: Hopper Fishin' and Sun Burn

I got out fishing today to celebrate the last day of oppressive heat for awhile! I arrived at the stream by around 9 and rigged up a big orange and tan hopper pattern. The fish didn't hammer the hoppers like I hoped they would but they gently nipped them from the surface.
After catching a few around this size I clumsily approached the confluence of the stream I was fishing and a very muddy stream. I tossed the hopper a few times without success so I stood tall and looked down into the pool. Sitting on the bottom where the muddy water was swirling around the clearer and colder water was a massive brown trout. It must have been at least 21-22 inches. He didn't spook when I spotted him so I tied on a small minnow streamer with no luck. I turned to the black leech which the beast also refused. I tried a small pink squirrel of prey fly which didn't work either. I decided to move on.
This beast sucked the hopper under and came to hand after a short battle. He was released to fight another day. At one point my long sleeve shirt fell over my forearms. I rolled them up and in doing so felt a little sunburn on my arm. It was in the mid 80's today and it was just too hot to got with the sleeves down.
All told I probably caught a dozen and a half, all on hoppers. I did hook into a nice one on a nymph pattern but he snapped my off on the undercut bank. As soon as I got into the car I noticed that my forearms were very burned! Oh well, at least it is forecast to be cooler tomorrow. Below are a few pictures from a short trip I went on with a friend last Friday.
 Fella that I met on the stream and I decided to fish a local stream well known for big trout. It was hot and overcast when we hit the river. A dense fog hung over the water tamping down any hatches. We fished attractor dries, emergers, nymphs, and streamers. At one point fella pulled his streamer through a pool and a nice fish flashed at his streamer. After a few casts, no luck. I suggested that he cast it and let it sit for a while. Sure enough it worked!
This brown came from the depths. Big fish of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment